Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Motivation

It always takes larger events to get me off my duff to do all the bigger projects around the house. Some are only big because they've stewed in my thoughts way too long. For example, one of my to-do list failures from the summer was to sand and paint the play structure. We'd had one too many splinter accidents and it needed to be done. Well, it's hot in the summer and with all the smoke, the kids weren't out there alot anyway...so went my reasoning. When we got the call from Bryan about them coming up for Thanksgiving this made me think about the play structure again and I wondered how in world I was going to get that done. Again, I've now been thinking about it for about 6 months and the project seemed huge. I gave myself 3 days, because I know myself and I will definitely put it off the first day (which was yesterday), so I'd have 2 days to do it. That seemed about right. This morning I collected the tools I needed and about 9am I got started. By 11:30 it sanded and the gray paint was on. I took a break, got lunch and put Karlee down, wishing I could sleep too. It's now 1:30 and I have most the green painting done...just waiting for the gray to dry (or Mark to come home:) so I can reach some higher places and finish the green. (Note to self: Next time start at the top and work down. I am so brainless sometimes.) Getting this done feels great, looks great and am so grateful Bryan and Heather are coming...we are way excited to see them...but the side benefit is all the projects they've motivated me to do. Thanks guys!

The moral of the story is just as stories repeated grow over time, when we dwell on a project and job for too long it can seem larger than it really is thereby loosing it's attainability. As Nike says, "Just do it and then you can have some chocolate" (ok, I added the last part)

Ok, I really need to paint the house. Who's coming to visit next?

2 comments:

loubige said...

LOVE the added portion of the Nike slogan, I'm down with that!!!

I have been putting of MANY projects, thanks for the motivation.

Brad and Jennet said...

That is so funny...I am the same exact way! But I find when I wait until last minute, usually I can talk Brad into helping me so it makes the project easier and funner. :)

About Us

MARK AND KARINA GOT MARRIED ON DECEMBER 17, 1994. TORI - 14 years old, likes tennis BRETT - 12years old, likes baseball and Social Studies. BRENNA - 8 years old, likes singing and drawing KARLEE - 6years old, likes watching movies and dancing. We are very blessed and happy!