Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 2011

Hello folks! It's been awhile. The computer crashed a few months back and I'm just getting back into full computer swing. I have not been able to locate the attachement for the camera since the move so my posts will be boring text until I find it or learn how to transfer pix from my phone, which is what I've been using lately.

We finished school none too soon. I was ready to be home for awhile and so were the kids.

Bren and Karlee have been struggling in school all year. Karlee is going to be enjoying a 'bonus' year next year by repeating the 1st grade. She has focusing issues....and following directions issues...and stubbornish issues. Anyway, after looking at and elimanting the costly private summer school options, I made up weekly 'contracts'. These are 20 academic and fun review exercises that they have to do to be able to go on their weekly field trip. For example, this is Plant week and on Friday we are planning on going to a state park with a covered bridge and a hike to a waterfall. I really want to go so I am hoping they step up tomorrow and do their work. It's been good so far but I am noticing Karlee is still having a hard time focusing.

Tori and Brett have contracts as well. Tori fights it tooth and nail. If she had her choice she'd be on her bed watching a movie or reading all summer. Sooo not going to happen. Brett is really liking contracts. They have a goal to finish the BoM before school starts and he has really taken that to heart. It is great to see! He is also riding his new bike (bday present) everyday for excercise. I need to start lengthening his rides as he gets back earlier and earlier. Next month he starts Papa Projets...where he is going to the ranch for a day to work for my dad. We are hoping these will be good learning opportunities for him..in more ways than one.

We've had Braden and Olivia Dredge here for the last 3 weeks, minus weekends and some nights, while Debbie is in Scotland. They have been excellent and we've had a great time. Tonight was their last night, they left after dinner and Bren is already sad. B & O leave for Hawaii next week so bren won't see O til the end of July. :( Debbie will be home though so we are planning some girl nights out when Dave is also gone. I am excited!

Our new house is 10 minutes away from Folsom State Park...which has lifeguarded beaches with restrooms and designated swimming areas. ;) Yeah! 100 degree days are hard without access to a pool. So we purchased an annual State Park vehicle pass that gets us into most state parks...the ones we can't get into without paying are mostly the beaches in So Cal we are ok. :) We have been to the Lake 3 times already and I am thinkging Fri or Sat we may go again. We've really been enjoying hopping down there for an hour or two to enjoy the nice water. Love it!

Tori is moving onto 10th grade and is already conditioning for fall's tennis season. She got her permit this week and is busy driving us to the store. I dont' think I am freaking out but she does. I'm sure I'll calm down soon enough....or when she gets a feel for how much wider the Suburban is than the Focus. She got her braces off right before camp. I honestly have not seen her smile so much in years. I love it! Tori is also volunteering at the library a couple hours a week. We told her months ago we wanted her to volunteer for something so she has something on a resume before looking for a job. She procrastinated in looking and this was the only we could find last minute that she didn't absolutley refuse so it's what she is doing. We are hoping she learns to like it. If not, maybe she'll learn something about procrastination.

Brett is currently at Scout camp and I hoping having a good time. It rained on them all day yesterday. Hopefully he is getting his required merit badges done and having fun too!

Brett and Tori are flying down to So Cal at the end of July to see Cyndie and her fam and G & G Snow. The rest of us are jealous but Cyndie and I agree it is something we think is important...for them to foster those relationships with aunts and uncles and cousins. They are very excited. Tori is hoping to work next summer so this is probably her last summer going to Cyndies, after 12 yrs.

Mark and I have been bribing the kids to play board games with us. Why has it come down to that? We really have no clue. We are going Pacificon Labor Day weekend. Mark is planning on entering the Puerto Rico tournament so he has been trying to get playing time in. We are going to a Sacramento Board Gamers night tomorrow. Hopefully it is fun and he gets some practice!

Last week Tori, Brett and I went to see LOTR Two Towers in theaters last week. It was great! Those films were meant to be seen on the big screen. (I missed Fellowship cuz I was at girls camp...which was fabulous by the way. Tori survived her 4th level hike with smiles and the girls I was with all week were angels.) Anyway, I have been wanting to see the LOTR symphony for a long time but they are always far away. Then they announced a west coast tour! Yeah! I bought tickets to the Oakland concert (Sac's was on a Sunday boo hoo) the Sat after by birthday. I am so excited! I absuolutely LOVE the music to those movies! They played Return of the King in theaters last night but I stayed home and watched it here instead. While the actually picture was better in the theater I had back pain from sitting in theater chairs for 4 hrs. It was still fun to reserve the TV here and watch it...though Tori bailed on me 2 hours in.

Mark has been driving, driving, driving! Making up for lost time during track season. He also takes the kids bowling every week...they get free games through AMF. Cross Country conditioning starts next week so no more sleeping in for him! He's also addicted to Symphony bars right now. :)

I think that's it right now. Hope your summer is going well! Love to all!

6 comments:

Brad and Jennet said...

Sounds like you guys are having lots of fun!!! Wish we lived closer to you, you wouldn't have to bribe us to play games with you :)

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

Yeah!!! You're back to posting on your blog again!

That was a fun post, not boring at all. Keep them up.

I can't believe Tori is driving. Crazy. I think volunteering at the library is honestly one of the best volunteer jobs I've ever heard of. I love libraries.

That's awesome that Brett is working so hard.

Tate

Sherree and John said...

Great to have your blog 'active' again! Even though I knew about almost everything you wrote, it's fun to read it!

Snow Family said...

That's a lot of info! I don't know what to comment on because there is just so much! We are thinking Scott should repeat 2nd grade, haven't decided yet though.

Tupou's said...

wow. busy busy busy! Glad to read about your cute little family and all the fun you are having! and I second brad and jennet you wouldnt have to bribe us either! :) love you!

Susanne said...

I loved reading this. It makes me really miss you and your family. Sounds like the first half of summer was fantastic. :-)

About Us

MARK AND KARINA GOT MARRIED ON DECEMBER 17, 1994. TORI - 14 years old, likes tennis BRETT - 12years old, likes baseball and Social Studies. BRENNA - 8 years old, likes singing and drawing KARLEE - 6years old, likes watching movies and dancing. We are very blessed and happy!