We have a family in our stake that owns www.disasterstuff.com and I went to a seminar by them Thurs night. I have spent alot of time researching emergency preparedness but I wanted to see what else was out there. They showed us a system for getting a 3 month food suppply of food you regularly eat. Here's how you do it:
1- Get 21 index cards. 7 for breakfasts, 7 for lunches, 7 for dinners.
2- Design 7 meals in each catagory using non-perishable items. Items that in an emergency can do without refrigeration. These should be recipes your family normally eat.
3- Write one recipe on each card..you should have 21 meals. When writing out the ingredients, be very specific. Ex: for spaghetti, you'll need 1 jar of sauce, 12 oz noodles and 6 cups of water.
4- On each card, multiply the amount of each item by 12. ex: 12 jars of sauce, 144 oz noodles, etc...When you are done you'll have the amount per item that you will need to store to have a 3 month supply.
5- Make a master list of all the items, how much of it you need for 3 months, how much you currently have, and how much you still need to buy.
6- Keep this list handy. When grocery shopping, pick up extra of items (especially if they are on sale) until you have the amount you need for 3 months.
7- Remember that these should be items you are regularly using. You will need to update your list often. Ex:If you use a box of pasta, mark on your list that you need one more.
I am excited about this program! It gives me a way to measure how much I have and need. Hope this was helpful to you too!
3 comments:
Great idea! I also need a way of organizing my regular food better. We are always saying "there's nothing to eat in the house" but the cupboards are full. So I'm either buying food cuz I think I should (like the 5 cans of chicken stock I've that have been with us our last 3 moves) or I don't know how to utilize what I have (like the 5 cans of chicken stock that have been with us our last 3 moves) ;)
that sounds very doable, I think the hardest part is figuring out seven non perishable meals. Was that hard for you?
Yes it's hard! Breakfast was easy but reallyyou need 14 meals for all the lunches and dinners. I am still in need of ideas for 2-3 meals.
Post a Comment