Tuesday, April 7, 2009
The American River FIFTY!
Well, what a day. I was a little nervous the night before. I had planned a somewhat unorthadox training regimen compared to most other ultra runners but with my time contraints(spending time with my great kids and wonderful wife!,teaching, driving school, and coaching track and field!) I pretty much had no other choice. I had talked with a few people about it and well they were a bit skeptical. I figured that my philosophy of "If I can run 15 I can run 50" could work as long as I 1) did not go out toooo fast( how fast is that for a 50m race!), drink appropriate fluids, stay aerobic, and eat sufficient calories. I awoke still nervous but ready to go. Karina took me to the start and gave me some encouraging smiles and kisses and off I went. It was dark but comfortable at 6 in the morning. I could not find my Friend Tony Overbay so I did not have anyone to run with but I was not really expecting that to happen. Tony is a veteran ultra marathoner and I figured I would not be able to sustain his pace. Off I went. I felt comfortable and was scooting along talking with several others who stayed around me for a while. That is one side benefit of this type of race, you get to meet and actually talk with someone while you run. Before long I was past Sunrise Blvd on the American River Bike trail and I was somewhat taken aback by how fast I got there. I do not wear a watch and my Ipod had gone dead at that point :( so I did not really know how fast I was out. We got up to the Fish Hatchery and Hazel Ave when someone told me that I was in 75th place. I said HUH? I had to remember that the time started once you crossed the start line so I was sure there were plenty of people who were ahead of me time-wise but still behind me place-wise. So, I just kept plugging along wondering what my times were like. We had to climb our first hill at that point and I felt good going up. The downhill kind of set the tone for the future of the race though because it felt really bad going down. Once the flats came again, I got back into a good rhythem. I was heading to the 21 mile marker and I was to see Karina and the kids for the first time. I was excited to see them for two reasons. One, they are great at encouraging me and second I knew I had some nasty blisters on my feet and I needed to dress them and change socks. There as a really cool path before Negro Bar so I pushed it through there and arrived to cheers at the checkpoint. I changed and felt much better from the kids and Karina encouragement. I had arrived in just over 3 hours, well under my pace. I was really surprised. I took off and headed to the halfway point. I figured I reached 25 miles in 3 hours and 45 minutes, well under my goal of 4:10. I passed the Marathon mark at about 3:55 or so and then at Beal's Point checkpoint at 4:05. I was a little leary at that point because I knew I had broken one of my philosophical rules I had laid out for myself, I went out waaay too fast. dang. triple dang. I felt very aerobic, my fluid intake was good yet I had not gone to the bathroom yet which concerned me alot. I had taken enough water and eloctrolyte fluids to pass through an elephant yet I did not have to go, no matter how much I told myself to. Anyway, I got through to the Granite Bay checkpoint at 31 miles knowing I was in trouble. I still felt good aerobically but my feet were really aching at he joints and Mentally I was starting to doubt whether I could finish. I rested for probably too long at the checkpoint. Just before Granite Bay my friend Tony Overbay had caught me and gave me some encouragement. thanks Tony! Between Granite Bay and the 38 mile mark there is an area they call the MEAT GRINDER!. NIce way to keep me motivated. IT definitely kicked my butt. My thighs started burning down the hills and essentially put me out of commission. I got to 38 and rested for about 15 minutes, taking in fluids and eating solids and dousing myself in cold water. I did not feel much better. I still wanted to finish though. So I walked the next 2.1 miles to the next station and Saw Karina there, not expecting her. She suspected I was in trouble and came to my aid. thanks KK. I decided that almost 41 miles was pretty good and with the way my feet were aching and my left quad was complaining, I knew that last 8.5 miles would have been dreadful. I really wanted to finish and get the jacket but that will have to be for another day! I have decided I will attempt it again in the future and will also try my hand at a marathon or half marathon. That might be fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Us
- THE SNOW FAMILY
- MARK AND KARINA GOT MARRIED ON DECEMBER 17, 1994. TORI - 14 years old, likes tennis BRETT - 12years old, likes baseball and Social Studies. BRENNA - 8 years old, likes singing and drawing KARLEE - 6years old, likes watching movies and dancing. We are very blessed and happy!
3 comments:
Way to go Mark!! That is so crazy that you ran that far in one day! That is awesome!
Mark, you're the man! You'll have to read my take, just posted my race report and I give you all the credit that you deserve. Well done my man. I look forward to running more ultra's in the not too distant future. You're a natural!
Way to go Mark! Maybe I will run one with you in the future. Let me know so I can start training again.
Bryan
Post a Comment