Monday, June 22, 2009

Girl's Camp and the Great Mouse Adventure

Tori and I had a fun week at girl's camp. We don't have pix cuz we used disposable cameras. I had a new assistant with canoes and kayaks, which turned out to be interesting. We discovered alot to change for next year.

Tori had an excellent week at the rifle range. She won 1st in her level and got the second best score in the entire camp. The leader at rifles is her Beehive counselor and was telling her she needs to join Lincoln Junior Rifles. I guess Lincoln's club is nationally known. Dawn and Mark confirmed this..they've seen Lincoln people on shooting competition TV shows. So that's something we can look into in the future. She can play around at Papa's for now.

I love girl's camp but that was tested Wed at 4:45am when I heard a mouse in our cabin. After awhile it went away and I thought we were all good. In the morning I opened my suitcase to get some clothes and there she was, sitting on my shirts. I had a friend get her out and I went down to the lake for Polar Swim (the girls swim laps at 6:30am to get a special award) After that I went back in the cabin to change and opened the suitcase and there she was again, just sitting there looking at me. So I dragged my suitcase outside and out she popped with a little baby on her belly. We thought, 'Oh no! A baby" With a baby comes a nest we so we dug down in my clothes and lo and behold she had made a nest in my old camp shirt and had eaten a hole in it as well. Needless to say, it went into the trash. I was grossed out but thought we'd taken care of it. I had some free time after my shower so I was laying reading on my bed, when I see her again running around the floor. I made some noise and she went under the dresser. I crossed the floor and stood on a chair by the door, ready to let her out, when I see her stick her nose out of one of my drawers. Ok, so the drawers aren't safe either. Next thing I know she's on the floor by the door and I let her out. I lay down again and within 2 minutes she's running around the floor and she did not come through the door. Ugh! I let her out again and I take everything out of the drawers and seal them up good in my suitcase on the top bunk. At lunch I got a trap, put some peanut butter on it and left it inside the door. We came back a couple hours later to find it outside our door, under the crack in the door, snapped and the peanut butter gone. Sneaky mouse. We think she got a foot or tail snagged and managed to get out the door and free. I go back to get another trap, set and hope it works. After dinner I take Tori to the cabin to get an extra blanket for her. There is no trap! I don't see it anywhere! Tori thinks she sees something move and then we see her....sitting on the top bunk with all my stuff. I can only think she is looking for her nest or a new place to make one. There is no food in the cabin. Tori then helps me move all of my belongings into my car, first making sure they are all mouse free (which took awhile as I had to work myself up to go through it all...I was alittle grossed out) The next day the priesthood put traps in the cabin and caught two. It was decided that we could put traps up everyday and we'd always get one cuz they love peanut butter. So we stopped the traps, but just in case word had spread that there was peanut butter in that cabin, I stayed in my car. And I have to say, it was much more comfortable than the cabin. Warm and mouse free! We are both glad to be home.

2 comments:

Karen said...

ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am NOT a mouse fan, so I probably would have just gone home! Good for you for sticking it out! Glad you both had a good time

Snow Family said...

Are the baby mice cute? That is a funny story. Mice don't sound too bad when someone else is dealing with it but when we had them in our house once it freaked me out! Bryan couldn't understand why I was so grossed out and I explained to him that it is just hard wired into female DNA.

About Us

MARK AND KARINA GOT MARRIED ON DECEMBER 17, 1994. TORI - 14 years old, likes tennis BRETT - 12years old, likes baseball and Social Studies. BRENNA - 8 years old, likes singing and drawing KARLEE - 6years old, likes watching movies and dancing. We are very blessed and happy!