Sunday, August 2, 2009

Camping with Friends at Bodega Dunes State Park

Bodega Dunes is roughly an hour north of SF. We stayed two nights with 4 other families at the state beach. We decided they have the friendliest rangers we've ever met...excellent service. The Zambranas were there a day early and we were so grateful they were able to save 3 sites right next to them for us...it's 1st come 1st serve. We had a huge site that fit everyone for meals and nighttime fun.

The kids had a blast exploring the first day. They found a "hobo camp" and climbed to the very very top of some very large trees. (We forgot the camera, so no pix. Darn!) I was particularly excited about not having to worry about bears and bear boxes... then we discovered that skunks and racoons run the park when everyone is asleep...so the food, etc still had to be locked away. Oh well. :) The mist and fog were very thick and it rained the first night. According to the ranger, this is very unusual. Figures. We woke up to a wet camp but forged on with our excellent meals.

We went some the tide pools about 7 miles up the beach and the kids had a blast looking for hermit crabs, sea stars, shells, etc.. At one point Mark, Tori and Brett climbed the cliffside...Brett alot higher than I liked. I was a bit nervous but he got down alright.

After lunch we headed to the beach. The kids enjoyed using their new kites....$2 each Taget clearance...love that! There was a large teeter totter big holes already on the beach and the kids loved that. At one point I was peacfully reading and Karlee comes up to me and says, very excitedly, "Mom! Mom! I peeed in the whole like this" and she spreads her legs out far. The other moms are dying laughing. I look at Mark and he gives me big grin. So now we have the pee whole and when the kids have to go we send them there. I was talking to the ladies and Mark yelled my name. I turned and he pointed down and then up. It looked like he was pointiong at 3 yr old Zoie, who had a yellow plastic thing in her hand and then at the kite. Debbie and I both said "Oh look. He gave Zoie the kite. How cute." Then he starts calling my name and pointing at the kite. Zoie was walking toward us and the kite was moving at about the same speed but he kept guestering like some thing was worng. Finally I see that she's stopped by us and is holding a yellow plastic duck and I look back to see the kite flying up, up, up and over the sand dunes. I would have said "Goodbye kite" but Mark and Tori took off, following it. About 20 minutes later they come back successful. It had gone over the sand dunes, a grove of trees, a road and landed on a hill. I guess there was another shredded kite near where ours landed so they dubbed it "Dead Kite Hill". The kids had fun running along the dunes and jumping off the top, and rolling down. Mark and Tori made a huge sandcastle and waited about an hour to see it be destroyed by the tide.

That night it's a bit warmer but still too wet for games....darn! I really didn't my game fix and am still feeling it. We have the kids do smores again and we enjoy a delicious berry and peach dump cake...yum! Sat we wake up to a warmer day. We are packing up and the sun appears! Of course, just when we are leaving! But we had a great time. Great friends and good fun! I think it amazing that we have so many friends that the kids and Mark and I all get along with and in whose company we enjoy so much....all in one place!! We are truly blessed!

No comments:

About Us

MARK AND KARINA GOT MARRIED ON DECEMBER 17, 1994. TORI - 14 years old, likes tennis BRETT - 12years old, likes baseball and Social Studies. BRENNA - 8 years old, likes singing and drawing KARLEE - 6years old, likes watching movies and dancing. We are very blessed and happy!