Tori and Brett had a sub in band yesterday. The first thing Brett told me after school was that they got to watch 'Newsies'. Then I come to find out that he's the only one in the class that has seen, let alone heard of it. He said he was singing along with the songs and the other kids were giving him queer looks but he didn't care. He kept going. So I asked Tori if she watched it also and whether the other kids knew it. She said she was the only one who knew it. When she found out that Brett actually sang out loud I think she was a bit surprised. She sang along in her head but from her tone there was no way she'd ever do it outloud.
It was brought home it me, again, not only how different we are as individuals but also how families differ. I see value in exposing the kids to a variety of 'arts', a varitey of movies, music, theater, etc... I believe in being well-rounded and hope that having them experience all forms of disciplines, hobbies, interests. I hope that this woudl enable their understanding of the world and the people in it to increase and therefore will enable them to interact within their communitites with ease and confidence.
Dating was once described to me as going to 31 Flavors Ice cream Parlor. How do you know what is your favorite unless you try all of them? This can be easily applied to life as well. Obviously we have guidelines to keep us seeking virtuous things, but there is so much to learn, experience and enjoy in that spectrum. By exposing our family to as many as possible now, I hope that their future will have great possibilties for growth and understanding.
4 comments:
You are such good parents! Such great advice (don't know if you meant it as advice, but that is how I took it :). I look up to you so much, you are a great example to me of how I want to raise and teach my kids. Love you guys!
I like the 31 flavors things. That is a good idea. Those musicals are great. I remember when you talked about coming home and finding the kids watching Thoroughly Modern Millie. I had forgotten about that movie and now want to see it again. Love U all whole bunches!
Any child that hasn't seen Newsies should! I love that show!
Newsies is the best show. and Swing kids and a bunch of other musicals. I agree with Jennet. You guys are such great parents to your kids. You are a great example on how to raise kids. I think what would Karina and Mark do in this situation. I love your life lessons. :) miss you tons
Post a Comment